Level

Default Group campout for some local preppers

A bunch of us from a local prepper group are getting together in a week to meet like-minded folk, and practice some of our woodcraft skills. Most of us have never met the other folks who are going, so we should have some interesting discussions as we kinda sort each other out. Our organizer picked a site near a high mountain lake. Should be a good weekend. I'll try to post a few photos and some discussion of skills we practiced once the trip is done.

Is anyone else putting together a camping trip for some local preppers?
    Planning to be here through it all.............

2. # ADS
    Survival Sponsors Sponsored Post

Level

The rest of the group hiked into our campsite. I decided to canoe in, so I also brought along some extra gear to help make camp a bit more comfortable. We did some hiking, fishing (no luck), tried out some culinary delights and used some new equipment. We talked about firearms, and groups, and survival training, and dogs. It was a great weekend. Here's a photo I took while canoeing across the lake.

2013_0816_TwinLakes_CanoeTrip02_web.jpg

Level

That is a great pic. Really beautiful lake. I wish I was closer.

Just wondered if you came up with any great new ideas for prepping that your group would like to share? Is anybody doing anything differently?
    Last edited by Morgan101; 08-29-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Level
    Blog Entries

Awesome man, and great pic thanks for sharing. Love stuff like this, if you have more pics please share
    WHAT IF THE AMERICA YOU KNEW, WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE?

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us!

Level
    Blog Entries

Very cool. Wish I was close enough to have participated.

Stuff like that keeps the energy up in the group, I am sure.
    "The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Level

We talked about some of the different prepper groups in our area, and what they focused on. I'm new to all of them so I was on listen mode to learn what I could. The group thru which we organized this trip seems to be a low activity, low energy group. A lot of the interest or action seems to be domestically oriented. Home skills. There is another group that seems to be more focused on conspiracy theory activity. They meet regularly to analyze and criticize politics and apparent government actions. There is a 3rd group that is made up entirely of military veterans. This group is action oriented and skill based. Recent meet ups have been about communications, first aid, land navigation, and camping skills.

I tend to be more interested in outdoor skills development than I am with domestic skills. And while I'm interested in what the conspiracy folks have to say, I'm not locked into some of those ideas. So I learned a bit about the groups and glad that I did. I also learned a bit about the folks on the camp out. One of the big things that hit me is that outdoor skills that I take for granted, some of them seemed to have a very hard time with. One was building a fire in breezy conditions. I watched one woman try for close to a half hour to get a fire going. I offered to help but she was sure it was always about to ignite. So I watched and learned what she was doing wrong. Finally she gave up and asked for help. I offered a couple thoughts to her about things she might do differently. Then proceeded to do what I had recommended and started a fire with the first match.

So it went thru the weeked. It was all low key. We shared info and experiences with different kinds of equipment too. So it was time well spent, other than none of us caught any fish.

Level

Thanks for the info m38. Sometimes learning what we DON'T want to do is as important as what we DO want to do. Good to have three different perspectives, and you can choose the one that best suits you.

Thanks for sharing.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.