Level

Question freeze dried and dehydrated foods and water

hello I'm new to food and water storage.

1st question.. been reading for a couple months but cant seem to find the 411 on how much water is required on say 3 months 4 adults with freeze dried and dehydrated foods. there must be a formula or calculator out there somewhere and i just haven't been able to find it.

2nd question... i want a 3 month 4 adult prepackaged meal kit to start off my supply. i have been reading and comparing and reading for a couple months now but every time i think i found the best bang for the buck i get a curve ball. for example the other day i thought i found the one i wanted but the e-mail i got back from them was stating there package was 500+ calories a day. i don't find that a deal if I'm understanding everything i have learned. so "what company in your opinion has the best bang for the buck on prepackaged meals for 3 months with 4 adults??? i do realize it is more expensive for the prepack meals but i want to start off with this for simplicity for us.

3rd question.. i know the dates on canned goods are not a "through it away date" but how long can you keep canned goods??(store bought)

thank you
    back to reading i go

2. # ADS
    Survival Sponsors Sponsored Post

Level
    Blog Entries

Fema gives a figure on their site, i think it says 2 or 3 gallons a day for each adult. When you start talking a few months it means having a source to get water, filter it and purify. It would be hard to stockpile enough IMHO.
    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Level

Hello, Just letting you know that the best place I found for dehydated foods is the Ready Store. they have a way for you to calculate what you need and you can buy from 1 month at a time to a year at one time if you like. i have bought a lot of different foods from them and they are really good. They have the food packed for anyway you would like to buy it and if you have questions, you can call and talk to them. they have a toll free number. I also have e-mailed them on questions about diffenent items and they were very prompt about e-mailing me back. I bought a lot of different things that i knew my family would like to mix in with what I buy at the grocery store and with what i have been canning. they have #10 cans of powdered milk, eggs, pancake mix, granola with blueberries, bacon and eggs etc. You name it i think they have it. They sell the non hybred seeds for the garden and meat. they have a sampler also. they sell both mountain house and saratoga brand foods. they have good sells on a lot also. they even have things for water storage and the small packs of water for a bugout bag, but on those you might be able to get cheaper. Otherwise this is the best store for your buck. Good luck and hope this helps.
    www.thereadystore.com
    Applejack

Level

will take a look at the ready store. 2 to 3 gallons a day seems like alot to survive?

Level
    Blog Entries

I am not trying to sell it, but I do know you should be drinking about 1 1/2 to 2 gallons a day, and when you start to dehydrate it affects your energy and thought process. But assume you only drink 1 gallon, cook with another 1/2 - 3/4 gallon, I don't know, what else......?
    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Level

i do like the ready store, thanks

Level

I am glad to be of help. I have been on other sights that sell dehydraded food and stuff, but the ready store to me is the best
    applejack

Level

I must state they are the best bang for the buck i have found yet ant they don't hide the calorie count like MOST of the others. price wise they have topped everyone i have looked at. although the package I'm looking at is not a meal per package it is not bans of rice and beans either. i believe i have found the base package i want and can build on.
    once again thanks

Level

INHO the recommendation for water is 1 gallon per person per day. This is a minimal number for survival. If you double that number you would be a little safer, and probably have water for cooking and hygiene. The packaged meals, like a Mountain House usually require 16 ounces of water. You can do the math to prepare for your family of four. 4 gallons x 4 adults x 90 days = 360 gallons minimum.

Look at your storage options. That would be 7 x 55 gallon drums. Your bathtub will probably hold 50 - 60 gallons. A collection and purification system should be on your list.

Level

i ordered a pair of berkey black filters last night and have water very close by if needed. although i will say finding someone to ship the darn things to CA was a task!