Level

Default Son's First Deer

So here is the situation: My son took hunters safety a couple years ago. We spent quite a lot of time out in the woods that season to no avail. We had a great time throughout. Last year we were unable to go out for the season and this year I will be gone once again on a deployment.
    My battle is do I let another familly member take him out for this season or do we hold out another year waiting for when I can go with him again? My split is: I would like to keep the interest going and have him enjoy some success, but I also don't want to lose out on him harvesting his first deer with us together.

Any thoughts on the subject?

2. # ADS
    Survival Sponsors Sponsored Post

Level

You have a dilema there. My son has never had an interest in hunting, so I'm not the one to give too much advise. I took a freinds kid out for him while he was in Iraq. His kid got his first deer, but we got it on video and sent it to him. He treasures that video.

Level
    Blog Entries

The only thing I can say is let your kid decide. I am sorry you might have to miss this. Thank You for your service.
    SQUARE PEG IN A ROUND HOLE

Level
    Blog Entries

I would let my son hunt while I was gone. Would hate to miss it but he will already be deprived of his father while your gone. Would want he to enjoy himself as much as possible.

Level

The thing they always told us before a deployment is, "Life doesn't stop in the real world just because you're not there."
    Let your son decide. Getting it on video is a really good idea. Both decisions have consequences.

Level
    Blog Entries

First of all thank you for your sacrifices. I know you are missing doing a lot of things with your son. But I advise to let him go. It would be a shame if he looses his interest. If you let him go and he gets something without you, granted that's a shame as far as you enjoying this one moment, but it will fire his passion to hunt and you can go with him down the line. If he looses his interest then you will miss out on hunting with him forever.
    "The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Level
    Blog Entries

Oh and one other thought..... Since you started him hunting, letting him go without you will be one way he can be busy, and help the time go by while he waits for you, and he will still feel you present because you were the one who taught him.

Speaking as someone who goes on agency related deployments every year, sometimes we forget when we are deployed that it is probably as hard or harder on our families sitting home and waiting. At least we have the "distractions" of being in a new place, facing new hazards, trying to get the mission accomplished to focus on and distract us till it's time to rotate home.
    "The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013