Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Level

Hello from Clarksville, Tn.

2. # ADS
    Survival Sponsors Sponsored Post

Level

Found a great link from a post from member "Rage for Order". It should be a big help getting started.

http://readynutrition.com/resources/...ater_06042011/
    If it was man made it can be man re-made.

Level

Hi there, Red! I'm actually doing it as though SHTF had already happened, although I admit I'm not ready to hunker down for any length of time (yet). Give me a few days to get going, and I'll post some pix. To make a long story short, if you're in financial shape to do it, I'd recommend getting a piece of land somewhere remote, and putting a small metal storage building on it. That's what I did, and through trial and error, I've actually managed to live comfortably out here. I'd recommend a southern location, because the wintertime is a BADGIRL. I've had to spend days hunkered down under two sleeping bags before I mastered firebuilding! haha!

There is more, LOTS MORE, that I can tell you, but probably not in an open forum. Holler back at me, and we'll talk. And if we're on the same page, we'll go from there. I'm not against the idea of visitors who wanna hang out and see how it feels. I'm actually proud of what my brother and I have managed to do down here in the woods.
    I'll burn that bridge when I get to it....

Level
    Blog Entries

Hey! Glad you found us. I was in Virginia last year to fight a wildfire in the Great Dismal Swamp. The day I landed at the airport there was an earthquake. A few days into it we had to evacuate due to a hurricane. Mention that to your friends and family if they give you ANY grief over prepping. It isnt all about mutant zombies from planet X, prepping is about being ready for ANYTHING, even a plain ole winter storm.
    welcome aboard.
    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Level
    Blog Entries

Btw, dont laugh about the mutant zombies....... they're out there...... and they know that I know they're there...... Sorry, had my tin foil hat on way too tight.
    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Level

Hi Rachel,

Everyone here posting has great ideas and suggestions, I would like to add to them, once you find a place hopefully near water, woods and high ground, think about food storage, seeds for growing food & that produces more seeds and defending whats yours. Think about how your going to cook your food, heat your water,light the night and keeping you warm. I like cooking with dutch ovens and charcoal or wood, you can cook almost anything in them. I could go on and on, I suggest you buy some good books on the subject start reading and start doing. The last thing I'll mention is to learn a trade (gunsmith,blacksmith,pottery etc.) you can barter with if you don't already have one. it's a good way to meet like minded people as well.
    Scotty

Level
    Blog Entries

Welcome from central Alabama. You've received much good advise here. Glad that you have chosen to start prepping. My goal is to get my family off the grid. I don't have the resources to do a lot at once, so I do what I can as often as possible. Storing up food and water is a good place for you to start.

Level

Hello and welcome from NC . It sounds like you and I are looking for the same thing just in our own area . Good luck in your search .
    Robert W
    Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not.-Thomas Jefferson

Level

Lots of great info, I am so glad to find like minded people.

Level
    Blog Entries

You are on the right path. There is a lot of great info on this site to get you started!