Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Level

Default Daily Technology

We've got posts on knives and tools. We've got posts on guns. How about the technology we carry each day? Not just cell phones, but tablets, laptops, cameras, etc. How do you keep them alive in an extended away from home mission?

I carry an iPhone 3GS, an iPad (first gen), a Flip Video camera, and an older Casio Exlim digital camera. I keep a travel and car charger for the i-products in my Go Bag - these are USB based, so I only have to carry one wall and car adapter and a USB cord. I have extra batteries for the Flip. I haven't figured out a way to charge my Casio. Thank goodness my truck (2010 Dodge Rma) has a built in inverter.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. # ADS
    Survival Sponsors Sponsored Post

Level

wow you have a lot of gadgets. I try to keep it simple, or maybe I'm just simple lol. I only carry a blackberry. If it goes down then I'm screwed as far as phone numbers go. I better make a hard copy. Glad your thread made me think of that.

I've seen small solar panel set ups that may be able to help you. Also I have a hand cranked lantern / radio that came with different plugs to charge cell phones etc. You just may have to do a lot of hand cranking to get enough juice into the gadget.

Level

I try to stay as close to the stone age as I can .... reliance on the tech may become problematic in the event of failure. I recall some folks here discussing downloading information to thumb drives and such .... I stick with hard copies. I wish you good luck with tech.

O.W.
    Things are seldom what they seem.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    I try to stay as close to the stone age as I can .... reliance on the tech may become problematic in the event of failure. I recall some folks here discussing downloading information to thumb drives and such .... I stick with hard copies. I wish you good luck with tech.

O.W.
    I am....as is the group....very set on having hard copies....But I'm thinking of ease of use for the day and age. I have been contemplating a Kindle for a while.

I'll still continue printing them out and binding....but the search-ability of having it at you fingertips....is alluring...
    Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Level

come on Tech is good, where would we be with out a hoop and stick. LOL

seriously though, I love tech, but its not part of my preps. I have a Garmin Gps gathering dust on a shelf. since it never seems to work right when Im in deep woods or below ridge lines. my compass has never failed me in any type of terrain.

I have some radios, that depending on the situation are set to be added to my gear bag. but over all, its all old school. the only tech I carry just about every where are my camera's.
    Last edited by TennOutdoors; 07-03-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Level

I recently saw an ad on the outdoor channel for a solar charger for GPS, cells etc. It mounts to a back pack for use when active. I'm not sure of universal compatability but it does look promising. I of course was a little distracted when watching, so I can't tell you the brand name or anything truly useful about it.

Level

I just bought a Casio Pathfinder Watch. I wanted a solar powered watch with a decent compass. This on has that and then some. I have been using a Luminox with a strap on compass for years and wanted a change. The casio is great and the compass spot on. I wouldn't use it as my main, but it would work as one.

Tough Solar Power
    Digital Compass
    Measures and displays direction as one of 16 points
    Measuring range: 0 to 359 degrees
    Measuring unit: 1 degree
    Altimeter
    Measuring range: -700 to 10,000m (-2,300 to 32,800ft)
    Measuring unit: 5m (20ft)
    Auto memory measurements
    Altimeter Memory
    Manual memory measurements (up to 25 records, each including altitude, date, time)
    Auto memory measurements (High altitude, Low altitude memory, Total ascent, Total descent)
    Others: Reference altitude setting, Altitude graph,
    Altitude differential
    Barometer
    Display range: 260 to 1,100 hPa (7.65 to 32.45 inHg)
    Display unit: 1 hPa (0.05 inHg)
    Atmospheric pressure tendency graph
    Atmospheric pressure differential graphic
    Thermometer
    Display range: -10 to 60 C (14 to 140 F)
    Display unit: 0.1 C (0.2 F)
    Sunrise/Sunset Data
    Displays sunrise time and sunset time for a specific date,
    Daylight pointers
    100M Water Resistant
    Low Temperature Resistant (-10 C / 14 F)
    Full Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow
    Duplex LCD
    World Time: 31 times zones (48 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off
    5 Daily Alarms
    Hourly Time Signal
    1/100 second stopwatch
    Measuring capacity: 23:59'59.99"
    Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
    Full Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
    Countdown Timer
    Measuring unit: 1 second
    Countdown start time setting range: 1 minute to 24 hours (1-minute increments and 1-hour increments)
    12/24 Hour Formats
    Button operation tone on/off
    Accuracy: +/-15 seconds per month
    Storage Battery: Solar Rechargeable Battery
    Battery Power Indicator
    Power Saving Function
    Approximate battery life: 6 months on full charge (without further exposure to light)
    Case size: 57.3 x 50.9 x 15.3mm (approximately 2.5" x 2")
    Module 3246

Level

I wear a Casio Pathfinder watch and I am forced to carry a cell phone. I have a strong concern with regards to modern man's dependence on technology. As a result I try to avoid it where ever possible.

I should note that I am very tech savvy having spent 10 years at IBM... I just hate how we depend on it. Where I live 3 days without power in the -30 to -40 winter and most of my neighbors would be dead. sad..

All it takes for the forces of evil to rule the world is for enough good men to do nothing.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger2011 View Post
    I wear a Casio Pathfinder watch and I am forced to carry a cell phone. I have a strong concern with regards to modern man's dependence on technology. As a result I try to avoid it where ever possible.

I should note that I am very tech savvy having spent 10 years at IBM... I just hate how we depend on it. Where I live 3 days without power in the -30 to -40 winter and most of my neighbors would be dead. sad..

All it takes for the forces of evil to rule the world is for enough good men to do nothing.
    Well said Ranger... I too have been in IT for many years, and feel the same as you. On a daily basis I see people become more and more dependent on technology. Thanks to the GPS, map reading is one generation away, at most, from becoming extinct. Heaven forbid someone would ever have to balance a checkbook manually. I dont know how many times my son has been in crisis because his mobile phone battery died and he needed to retrieve a phone number for the movie theater, autoparts store, etc...

"Michael... calm down, just look it up n the phone book".
    "The what? "
    "The phone book".
    "Oh... Umm what would it be under?"
    "Autoparts"
    "There's no listing for autoparts"
    "You have to go to the yellowpages in the back"
    "Oh..... Found it... Where's the phone?"
    "Your Sister's on it"
    "AAAARGGGG!!!"

That being said... I carry a Blackberry, two flashdrives (SanDisk Cruzers) and a Casio G-Shock Solar.

The 12ga.... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

Level

Cell phones have a built in GPS that can be used to track your location.

snip
    ...but security experts say that many governments around the world enjoy the ability to monitor BlackBerry conversations as they do communications involving most types of mobile devices.
    snip

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...67246V20100803

snip
    As it rolls out a new iPhone operating system and an advertising platform, Apple is changing its privacy policy to allow collection and sharing of “precise location data,” including “real-time geographic location” of devices.
    snip

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/06/...location-data/