Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Level

Default Single Action Revolvers

Single Action Revolvers

What do you guys think about single action revolvers?
    Any use other than novelty?
    Are they more reliable than their double action cousins?
    Is there any reason besides personal preference one might want to consider getting a single action for a double action or an automatic?
    ~ Awesome ~

2. # ADS
    Survival Sponsors Sponsored Post

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Single Action Revolvers

Is there any reason besides personal preference one might want to consider getting a single action for a double action or an automatic?
    I meant "getting a single action instead of a double action"
    ~ Awesome ~

Level

I have a Super Blackhawk, 44mag, single action. Its not anymore acurate than the Super Redhawk double action, but I shoot the double action like the single. Its when you pull the double action, the trigger has a longer stroke before it releases the hammer, therefore possibly pulling the gun off target. With a single action, like mine, as soon as you touch the trigger, or squease the trigger, it goes off. I recommend the Ruger Super Blackhawk, or Redhawk, because you can use "hotter" loads. I can shoot mine at a target 75 yds out and still put it where want to.

Level

Most double actions with a hammer offer the option to manually cock it. This is recommended for maximum accuracy, but in a self defense situation the very light trigger can be a liability.
    You have two steps to getting a single action firing, cock and pull trigger, to fire again you have to again cock and pull trigger.

For many years single actions protected lives and took lives. But the more modern double action has some advantages. They can both be reliable. Both accurate (especially if you cock the double action).

For me a double action can do everything a single action can do, and offers the option to just pull the trigger. Nothing wrong with a single though if you get good at cocking the weaon quickly and have a steady trigger finger, but in a self defense situation your motor skills will degrade under stress, so you better be very good and sharp to start with.
    My weapon can kill, it isn't limited to mere assault

Level

Revolvers in general (Single or Double Action) are more reliable than Pistols. Obvious limiting factors include capacity, slower reload times and sustained rate of fire. Both types of modern revolvers are equally as accurate.

The problem occurs when you want to employ a Single Action Revolver in a stressful SHTF or defensive situation. Reload time for single actions is much slower than that of Double Actions because of the single ejector mechanism. Utlizing speed loaders the double action is much faster. Rate of fire is slower in a single action and accuracy of fire also suffers when trying to sustain the rate of fire of a Double Action.

Don't get me wrong I like them both; you just have to consider employment an application of each firearm. good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by Bayou Blaster; 03-26-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Blaster View Post
    Revolvers in general (Single or Double Action) are more reliable than Pistols. Obvious limiting factures include capacity, slower reload times and sustained rate of fire. Both types of modern revolvers are equally as accurate.

The problem occurs when you want to employ a Single Action Revolver in a stressful SHTF or defensive situation. Reload time for single actions is much slower than that of Double Actions because of the single ejector mechanism. Utlizing speed loaders the double action is much faster. Rate of fire is slower in a single action and accuracy of fire also suffers when trying to sustain the rate of fire of a Double action.

Don't get me wrong I like them both; you just have to consider employment an application of each firearm. good luck with your decision.
    Forgot about reloading, I carry two guns and one is a semiautomatic, so I forget about pointing out the reloads are much faster with a DA.

Usualy reload procedure, empty the revolver, pull out semiauto and empty, load magazine in semiauto and empty, run.
    My weapon can kill, it isn't limited to mere assault

Level

Single Action Revolvers

Awesome, you have a very good question there. I have a 1911 .45 pistol and a Blackhawk which takes the .45 long colt and has a .45 ACP cylinder. I have a Ruger .22 Mark III pistol and I have a Heritage .22 revolver with a .22 Magnum cylinder. I have a pump shotgun and I have a bolt action shotgun.
    The reason for this being that I am not a gun smith. Pistols have a lot of moving parts and little springs. While revolvers are pretty basic and dependable. You will never have a stove pipe or jam with a revolver unless you have some bad shell that could keep the cylinder from turning.
    I like and prefer my pistols but I definitley want a revolver as a back up gun.
    Like someone else said, the Ruger Redhawk or Blackhawk are built like crowbars and it is hard to over load them. A working single action gun shoots better than a broken semi-auto. Get you one.
    bbc
    The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Level

I got a old ruger Blackhawk 41 mag. my dad gave me. It's o.k., but I prefer my 44 mag. Redhawk.

Level

So it seems like the consensus is that single action aren't bad weapons but a double action can do everything a single action can and more...

So if you could only get 1 a double action might be the better choice?

just an FYI: this isn;t a purchase question or anything. It's more of a lingering thought I've had. I've always thought that a DoubleA was better because it could basically do the single action job and more.
    I was just wondering if there are any other trains of thought out there... That doesn;t seem to be the case.

Thanks for all the input guys!
    ~ Awesome ~

Level

So it seems like the consensus is that single action aren't bad weapons but a double action can do everything a single action can and more...

So if you could only get 1 a double action might be the better choice?

just an FYI: this isn;t a purchase question or anything. It's more of a lingering thought I've had. I've always thought that a DoubleA was better because it could basically do the single action job and more.
    I was just wondering if there are any other trains of thought out there... That doesn;t seem to be the case.

Thanks for all the input guys!
    I think that would be safe to say. The double action thing I mean. Not to beat a dead horse, but again, I would stick with a Ruger (if it becomes a purchase question) simply because of their construction.
    bbc
    The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson